Wednesday, July 30, 2014


This morning I am sitting on the rooftop patio of our Hotel, just off the main square of Copan.  It seems like there are as many chickens as people roaming the roads of the neighborhoods and I can hear the crowing of hundreds of roosters in the mountains above me.  I hope to see the sunrise this morning and the roosters are like a cheering crowd waiting along with me.  It is impossible to describe how beautiful this country is and also how broken it is. 
The word’s that Jesus spoke to the multitudes keep coming to my mind, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.  Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.  Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.” 
As I work alongside the wonderful men of Honduras I am humbled and ashamed of my prideful, arrogant attitude.  I want God to restore in me a poor, meek and mourning spirit that hungers and thirst for His righteousness.  The surprising accomplishment of mission trips is not the physical tasks that get completed or the “good” works that are performed.  It is always what God can accomplish in our own hearts.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will not appear immediately. All comments are reviewed before publishing.