Friday, February 24, 2012

My Lot In Life.....

   ח Khet
 57 The LORD is my portion;
I have promised to keep Your words.
58 I have sought Your favor  with all my heart;
be gracious to me  according to Your promise.
59 I thought about my ways
and turned my steps back to Your decrees.
60 I hurried, not hesitating
to keep Your commands.
61 Though the ropes of the wicked
were wrapped around me,
I did not forget Your instruction.
62 I rise at midnight to thank You
for Your righteous judgments.
63 I am a friend to all who fear You,
to those who keep Your precepts.
64 LORD, the earth is filled with Your faithful love;
teach me Your statutes.


“That’s my lot in life.”
We usually hear this said in a negative context about someone’s suffering.  The word “lot” is a shortened version of allotment.  The word “portion” in verse 57 of Psalms 119 comes from a Hebrew word that can also be translated “lot” or “division”.
As a Believer God is my lot in life.  He is my portion. 
I love busy airports, crowded shopping malls, sometimes even traffic. 
Who are all these people?
What’s their story?
This week I had the opportunity to spend several hours watching huge crowds of people at Mardi Gras. Each morning I read this section of Psalms and then pondered on my “lot” in life and observed thousands of people pursue pleasure and I wondered about their “lot” in life.
It seems we spend so much of our energy trying to increase our “lot”.  The American Dream is to improve our “lot in life” to the point of total self-sufficiency, even material excess. 
Reading and meditating on this scripture has made me realize that God is my Portion and pleasing Him should be my focus and pursuit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will not appear immediately. All comments are reviewed before publishing.